Friday, May 12, 2006

If World were a Temple

There is this small in size,large in the number of visitors temple near my house.I usually go there primarily because I like the scent of flowers mixed with the fragrance of the insence sticks.
At the time of the aarti, there are about thirty people there.While the stuti plays on the tape recorder(most probably donated by someone), one of the devotees volunteers to ring the temple bell to the tune of the prayer song.
Then, a thought strikes my mind.
If world were a temple, people would cheerfully volunteer to do things knowing the long term benefits of the act.
People light the lamps and the insence sticks.I wish everybody in this world, strived to bring fragarance and light everywhere.
Some people distribute paper bowls of rice or sweets as prasada.I wish the able individuals of the world worked to feed the little unfortunate others.
I was grateful to the temple for the thought it gave me.
A beautiful, fragrant, illuminated world, devotees of humanity, lamps of hope, insence of peace, prasada of love!
I was overwhelmed with the thought.The tape recorder became silent.I realised that the stuti was over.Then, it was the time for everyone to offer prayers and flowers individually.
People started rushing into each other, pushing each other and using their get-through-the-crowd techniques.
All thoughts were shattered.I takes less than a moment for the world to transit from selflessness to selfishness.
Conclusion: Because people make temples, temples are part of the world and the world cannot be a temple.
But still, I wish temples were temples and the world were a temple!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi.......
its cool man.....
thats true ppl are self fish.....
i hope they dont be like that .....
its a nice piece of article....
Go ahead tanvi....

~Gaya~

Buccaneer said...

well well, the same 'selfish' note in both our latest posts...

anywayz, man is a social and a selfish animal...

he has created gods and temples, he has created the traffic policeman and cops, he has created caste and reservation, he has made the rules always....all because he is selfish.........

Pavan Tyagi (पवन त्यागी) said...

Great thoughts, good stuff!

Tanvi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tanvi said...

Thank you Gaya.

buccaneer,I completely agree with you.You and me bring out the obvious.But,sometimes,even the obvious needs to be expressed.

Thank you very much,Pavan

Addy said...

It was really good exemplification of an idealistic world. Somewhere i too often get this wish of people ostracizing the negative vibes from this world forever

Addy said...

You are most welcome to our aashiyaana..Unfortunately all four of us are now seperated..still the legacy continues..btw my new sequel is uploaded ..hope u like it

Nicki Greenwood said...

Wow, what beautiful sentiments! It's strange how quickly people can change, isn't it? But such a daydream keeps us hoping for the nicer side of humanity. :)

vishal anand said...

amazing, truly amazing thoughts..such purity , Such innocence , such Clarity... Truly impressed.So I think That I shud give the girls another chance before branding them as Evil

Tanvi said...

addy,nicki,thanks.

Vishal,thank you.I am highly honoured to have you leaving a comment that doesn't go against girls.
Btw,what do you mean by 'another chance',huh?